Modern society is responsible for producing over processed livers. This is because processed food items have become an inevitable part of our lifestyle. Manufacturers of these products add high amounts of sodium and fat along with chemicals as preservatives to enhance its taste. Due to environmental pollutants like pesticides and excessive use of chemicals, the liver is taxed. This is the reason why it cannot perform its functions properly. The liver plays a key role in strengthening the immunity power, metabolism, digestion and storage of nutrients.
- The liver is responsible for removing the harmful toxins from your body and regulating the composition of blood.
- It converts the nutrients in a form that body can use.
- It destroys old red blood cells.
- It produces bile, which helps you to digest fatty items.
An unhealthy diet regime and sedentary lifestyles will overload your liver, making it difficult to remove the toxins and process the fat efficiently. This will increase the risk of obesity, fatigue, digestive problems and allergies.
You can detoxify your liver and restore its natural ability to remove toxins by eating liver cleansing foods.
Top 10 Liver Cleansing Foods
This is a wonderful remedy to clean your liver. It will activate the enzymes in the liver, which will help your liver to get rid of toxins. It has two natural compounds selenium and allicin, which contributes in the cleansing process. It safeguards your liver from any kind of damage caused by toxins. Garlic lowers the cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. The high level of triglycerides and cholesterol will overload the liver and disturb its proper functioning.
In order to improve your liver health, you can consume raw garlic.
- Take 2-3 raw garlic cloves every morning with honey. You can also take it without the honey.
- Garlic supplements are also good, but you need to have a word with your physician before using them.
Grapefruit has a good amount of vitamins C, antioxidants and pectin. All these elements present in it make it a natural liver cleanser.
It has glutathione, which will detoxify your liver and neutralize free radicals. It will detoxify your liver from heavy metals. Flavonoid naringenin aids in breaking down the fat. You need to consume a glass of grapefruit juice every day with your breakfast for maximum benefits. If you are on medications, then consult your physician before taking this fruit because it may interact with some medicines.
Beetroot is known as one of the most powerful foods for regulating the liver functions and cleansing it. It has beta-carotene, flavonoids to improve the functionality of the liver. Beetroot is a natural blood purifier.
- Include fresh beetroot in your daily diet; you can also opt for its juice.
- To make an efficient liver cleansing salad, take 1 cup of chopped beetroot and add extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice to it. Mix it well and consume 2 teaspoons at a regular interval of two hours every day for a week.
Lemon has a powerful antioxidant called D-Limonene, which activates the enzymes. These enzymes aid in the detoxification process of the lever. The presence of high amount of vitamin C in the lemon produces more enzymes. This is beneficial in improving the digestive system. Lemon also regulates the absorption of minerals by the liver.
- You can make lemon water by adding one lemon juice in a jar of water. Chopped lemons can be used for preparing lemon water. You need to drink this water at regular intervals.
- To enhance its power, add a little honey.
Note: people who are suffering from stomach acidity must remember that it might aggravate their symptoms.
Regular intake of green tea will throw out the toxins from your body. It is also beneficial in decreasing the accumulated fat deposits. Green tea also improves hydration levels.
The International Journal of obesity published a report on green tea, which states that catechins present in green tea stimulates the lipid catabolism. This restricts the fat accumulation in the liver thus enhancing the health of your liver. Herbs present in green tea protect the liver from negative side effects of alcohol and other toxic substances.
Another health science research conducted on cancer causes and its control, revealed that regular intake of green tea is beneficial in treating and safeguarding liver from multiple diseases. It also lowers the risk of developing liver cancer.
- You can consume 2-3 cups of green tea every day. For sweetness, you can add honey to it.
Note: consuming too much of green tea can bring negative effects on your liver.
The American Chemical Society published a report, which states that this fruit is full of useful chemicals that reduce the liver damage. It has gluthathione, this is the compound which liver requires to clean itself from harmful toxins. It also regulates the liver functions.
Avocados are full of high amount of monounsaturated fat, this helps in reducing bad cholesterol. This decreases low-density lipoprotein and increases high-density lipoprotein commonly known as good cholesterol.
Avocados have several minerals and vitamins, which are beneficial for the overall health of liver. These vitamins and minerals break down fats and liver can function properly.
- In order to reverse the liver damage, eat two avocados every week for a couple of months.
Turmeric is a popular spice and an effective liver cleanser. Its use is beneficial in several ways. It cleans the system and improves the digestion of fats.
The main compound of turmeric is curcumin, which has wonderful medicinal properties. It enhances the formation of enzymes like S-transferase, gluthatione. These enzymes are required for the detoxification process. Continuous use of turmeric will help your body to regenerate damaged liver cells.
- Take ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix it in a glass of water. Boil this mixture and drink it twice daily for a month.
- Make it a point to use this spice in your daily cooking.
You may have heard the famous saying, eat an apple a day keeps the doctor away. Apples have pectin, which is a soluble fiber responsible to throw out the toxins from the digestive tract. It is also beneficial in controlling the cholesterol level in the blood. Malic acid present in apples removes carcinogens and other toxins.
- Eat an apple every day to clean your liver thoroughly.
Walnuts have glutathione, l-arginine and omega-3 fatty acids to help the liver in cleansing process in a natural manner. The Journal of Agricultural and Food chemistry published a study about the use of walnuts. It says that polyphenols present in walnuts protect the liver from damage caused by carbon tetrachloride.
- Consume a handful of walnuts every day as a snack.
- You can sprinkle them over the soup or baked items.
It has gluccosinolates, which flushes out the carcinogens from the body. It has a high amount of fiber that improves the digestion process. Vitamin D is present in broccoli in fat-soluble form.
- Experts recommend taking 1 cup of broccoli 2-3 times a week to keep the liver healthy.
In order to keep your liver healthy, you are supposed to decrease the intake of refined sugar, excessive caffeine and processed food items in your diet. Stay away from alcohol and smoking because it is harmful not only to liver, but also to other organs of the body.