It is a common problem to deal with ants in summer and rainy seasons. They start invading our houses from garden areas in search of edible items. Texas Fire Ant Research and Management Project has revealed certain things about these insects. There are more than 12,000 species of ants, but fortunately, only a couple of them invade our homes. The most common house-invading ants are carpenter, pavement, pharaoh, odorous and acrobat ants. These ants can spoil your food and damage your property. These tiny creatures may cause stinging bites and they are harmful to your ornamental plants.
In order to deal with this situation people use chemicals, which are harmful to humans and the environment. If you want to safeguard your home without using harmful pesticides, you can opt for non-toxic ways to control ants. You need some common things, which are usually available in a home. You have to invest time and patience to get natural results.
Understanding Scout Ants
If you see ants in your kitchen, it is like an alarming sign for you. These are scout ants investigating your kitchen for food. When they will return to their nest, they will inform other ants and more will follow. You need to stop it immediately without wasting any time.
- Clean your kitchen at regular intervals, especially when you see scout units. This will help you wipe out the chemical pheromone trail odorous ants leave while travelling.
- Seal all the food items, which are sweet and greasy.
The International Journal of scientific and research publications revealed that cinnamon has essential oils, which are good for curbing insecticidal activity. This is also an effective ant repellent and it serves as a barrier for ants entering your house because of its strong smell.
- Take half teaspoon of cinnamon essential oil and mix it in a cup of water. Use this mixture for cleaning the areas from where ants are entering your house. You can repeat this process daily to eliminate the ants.
- You can sprinkle ground cinnamon at entry points.
- Mix cinnamon oil with water and pour it in a spray bottle. Use this solution strategically to control the ant’s infestation.
If you spray white vinegar at the entry and other strategic points, you will find a significant decrease in the number of ants. This is because the smell of vinegar will mask their trails and they will lose their direction.
- Take equal parts of white vinegar and water and pour it in a spray bottle.
- You can add essential oils to it to enhance its power.
- Spray this solution at different points in your home.
- You can also use this solution to clean your floors and counter tops.
This is a toxic substance for ants and efficient in controlling the infestation. Ants are attracted towards borax, but when they ingest it, it costs their life.
- Take equal amounts of borax and food jelly. Spread it on a plate and keep it on the affected areas.
- You can a solution by using granulated sugar in 1:3 ratios. Add water to this if you want to use it in syrup form.
In order to safeguard your kitchen and home from invading ants, use lemon. The smell of lemon serves as a deterrent for ants and its acidic property covers the ant trails. This makes them direction less. Using it frequently will make your home an ant free zone.
- Take a lemon and rub it on the entrance, windows and other areas from where ants are coming inside your home.
- You can also use lemon oil on cotton balls and put it in cabinets and affected places.
- Make small pieces of lemon peel and place it at entry points.
This is a well-known natural insect repellent used for restricting the entry of ants. We love its smell, but ants hate it. The strong smell of peppermint disrupts the smelling capabilities of ants and they cannot find the food sources.
- Take one cup of water and add a few drops of peppermint oil. Spread this solution on the place where ants are frequent. You need to repeat this process twice daily to get overwhelming results.
- Take dried peppermint leaves and sprinkle it around your doors.
Soap and water
Soap and water solution will quickly eliminate ants from your home.
- Take a spray bottle and fill it with water and liquid detergent. Shake it well and spray on the ants. This will suffocate them and make breathing difficult. The smell of detergent will wash away their trails.
Garlic is beneficial for our health in several ways. It is good for keeping the insects at bay… ants included.
- Take a garlic clove, peel it off and place it near the ants.
- You will find that an invisible force is working for you, which is repelling ants.
- You have to replace the garlic clove by fresh one after it will dry up.
This is one of the cheapest ways to get rid of irritating ants.
- Take some water and boil it. Add common salt to it.
- Spray the solution where ants are frequently coming.