Persistent coughing is a common health problem which occurs due to irritant or blockage in the air passage. In order to throw out the irritant and to clear the nasal passage, body starts coughing. Persistent coughing can never be a fun situation especially when you are attending a meeting or giving a business presentation. People throw disgusted look and feel uncomfortable with your coughing. Home Remedies for cough play a significant role in treating any kind of cough whether it is dry or productive.
Types of Cough
There are two types of coughs, dry and wet. Wet cough is also known as productive cough in which mucus or phlegm comes out with coughing. To throw out the phlegm from your body, it is better to use natural expectorants.
On the other hand, dry cough can be due to tickling in the throat. People are extensively using cough syrups, but the irony is that main ingredients present in these syrups (diphenhydramine and dextromethorphan) are used as placebo ingredients. It is always better to avoid chemical use in treating minor body ailments. You can use home remedies for treating cough as they are far better in every aspect.
Home Remedies for Cough
Honey tops the list of home remedies used for treating cough.
- This is an expectorant with antibacterial properties and due to high viscosity and stickiness; it coats the throat and sooths the irritation instantly.
- A research conducted by Penn State College of Medicine found that honey is more effective than over the counter drugs in treating cough.
- You can mix honey with a lot of herbs and spices.
2. Honey and Turmeric
- Take a green rhizome of turmeric.
- Crush it thoroughly and mix it with the same amount of raw organic honey.
- You can use this mixture 3-4 times a day.
- Children below 3 years of age should be given the juice of turmeric rhizome with honey because they may not like the pungent taste of crushed rhizome.
This is an excellent remedy which works for children as well as adults. If you child has persistent irritating cough every night, give this mixture before retiring to bed and feel the difference with the first dose.
3. Licorice Root Tea
This herb has excellent medicinal properties and is well known for soothing the irritation in throat. It also decreases the inflammation which comes with persistent cough due to irritants. You can use licorice root as expectorant to ease the congestion in chest. People who are using steroids or those people who have any kind of kidney problem must consult their physician before using it.
- Take a mug and put 2 tablespoons of dried licorice root powder into it.
- After boiling the water in a pan, pour it into the mug and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Drink this twice a day.
4. Ginger with Lemon and Honey
Ginger is among the most popular and widely used home remedies for cough.
- Crush a fresh ginger rhizome and put it in a pan and add a cup of water, bring this water to boil.
- Drink this water 3-4 times in a day.
- To increase the power of this preparation, you can use lemon and honey to it.