Do you often suffer from knee pain? Well, it is a common problem, so you are not alone. There are short-term and long-term problems that can cause this condition. If you suffer from short-term knee pain, you do not need to seek medical help as it is likely that you can recover on your own. The secret is home remedies. They are natural and safe and the great thing about them is that some home remedies can also help with a number of long-term issues that are causing your knee pain.
Here is a look at some of the best home remedies to help relieve your knee pain:
Apple Cider Vinegar
Have you heard of the wonderful medicinal properties of apple cider vinegar? If so, you will be glad to know that it is also a great home remedy for treating knee pain. Apple cider vinegar has an alkalizing effect which helps dissolve the buildup of minerals and harmful toxins in the knee joint. It also helps in restoring joint lubricants to promote mobility and reduce pain. If you often experience knee pain, make sure that you have a supply of apple cider vinegar in your pantry.
How to Use:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 2 cups of filtered water.
- Sip this tonic throughout the day and drink it daily until your knee pain is completely gone.
- Another simple yet effective remedy is to add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar to a bathtub filled with warm water.
- Soak the affected knee in the water for 30 minutes and repeat once a day for a few days.
- Lastly, mix 1 tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and olive oil.
- Massage the affected area with the mixture 1 or 2 times a day until the pain disappears.
Whether your knee pain is caused by an injury, muscle strain or arthritis, ginger works wonders to help in relieving the pain. It is packed with anti-inflammatory compounds that make it is an excellent home remedy for this condition. Ginger can help in reducing the pain and swelling on your knee. This herbal medicine is an excellent natural treatment for many ailments and it may be just what you need to help treat your knee pain.
How to Use:
- Add a small amount of crushed fresh ginger to 1 cup of water and boil for 10 minutes.
- Once boiled, strain the liquid and add a small amount of lemon juice and honey for flavor.
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of this tea every day until the pain subsides.
- Additionally, you can massage the affected knee 2 to 3 times daily with ginger oil until the pain goes away.
This is an extremely effective home remedy for knee pain as cayenne pepper contains capsaicin which is known to be an excellent natural pain reliever. Capsaicin is a natural analgesic and this property produces a warm sensation and helps in reducing knee pain. Cayenne pepper is widely known to be a great natural remedy for various conditions and now you know that you can use it to alleviate knee pain as well.
How to Use:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder and ½ cup of warm olive oil.
- Apply the paste on the affected knee 2 times a day for at least one week.
- Another remedy is to mix ¼ or ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder and 1 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Take a soft, clean washcloth and soak it in the solution and place it on the affected knee.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes 1 or 2 times a day until the pain and inflammation is reduced.
- Additionally, purchase a gel that contains 0.0125% capsaicin and apply it topically to get relief from knee pain.
When you suffer from knee pain, one of the best natural treatments is turmeric. It contains curcumin, a chemical with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing pain and inflammation. Also, according to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), the progression of rheumatoid arthritis, which is one of the primary causes of knee pain, may be slowed down by the natural properties of turmeric.
How to Use:
- Mix ½ teaspoon each of turmeric and ground ginger in 1 cup of water.
- Boil for 10 minutes and then strain.
- Add honey to improve the flavor and drink the solution 2 times a day.
- You can also boil 1 glass of milk with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Add a bit of honey to sweeten it and drink it once a day.
- Taking turmeric capsules of 250 to 500 mg 3 times a day can also help relieve knee pain.
Note: Keep in mind that turmeric acts as a natural blood thinner, so if you are taking blood-thinning medication, you should not use these remedies.
Every kitchen has mustard oil, and if you suffer from knee pain, you are in luck as it is an easily accessible and effective home remedy for the problem. Mustard oil is commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine as a massage oil. Warm mustard oil is excellent for knee pain as it improves blood circulation in the knee joint area, eases inflammation and provides quick relief from pain.
How to Use:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of mustard oil and fry 1 chopped clove of garlic until it turns brown.
- Allow the oil to cool until lukewarm and then strain it.
- Massage the warm oil onto the affected knee using circular motions.
- Cover your knee with plastic wrap and then apply heat with warm towels for a few minutes.
- Do this 2 times a day for 1 to 2 weeks until the pain is gone.
As you can see, there are many effective home remedies that you can use to gain relief from knee pain. Keep in mind that these natural treatments are best for mild to moderate knee pain due to lack of use, overuse or improper physical training. You can also use them to help with aching knees caused by conditions like arthritis or aging. However, if you think that your knee pain is caused by a more serious health issue or if these remedies do not work, you should get a proper diagnosis and treatment from a doctor.