Also known as Candida, yeast infection is a common fungal infection that affects men and women – however, women are more prone to it. It mostly targets the genital area, resulting in itching, pain and discharge. Yeast infection is caused by an overgrowth of Candida albicans and while it typically affects the genital area, the infection can also develop in the lower abdomen, under the breasts, nail beds, around dentures and beneath skin folds. While there are topical creams and lotions for treating Candida sold in pharmacies, you can also use home remedies to treat the infection.
Natural Treatments for Candida
Here is a look at some of the best home remedies for treating yeast infection:
Apple Cider Vinegar
As you know, apple cider vinegar is one of the most popular ingredients when it comes to home remedies. It can treat a wide range of health and skin conditions, including yeast infections. It has powerful, distinctive components that help in treating yeast infections as they can kill the fungi that are responsible for causing the condition.
Mix 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of warm water.
- Drink this 2 times every day for a couple of weeks.
- Or, soak your body in a bath tub filled with warm water and 1 cup of apple cider vinegar. Relax in the water for about 1 hour.
- You can also dilute apple cider vinegar with plain water and apply it to the affected area with a cotton ball soaked in the solution.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash it off with water.
Note: You can also use white vinegar if you do not have apple cider vinegar.
Due to its powerful antifungal properties, coconut oil is another excellent remedy for treating yeast infection. It kills the fungi that cause the infection and prevents the condition from recurring. It also has a soothing effect that can help with the itching that comes with the infection.
- Apply coconut oil on the affected area 3 times a day.
- Or, mix equal amounts of coconut oil and cinnamon oil and apply it on the affected area to control the infection’s growth.
- If you have oral thrush, swish coconut oil in your mouth for 5 to 10 minutes. You can also mix a little cinnamon oil or tea tree oil for this remedy. Repeat at least 3 times a day. Remember that you should not swallow the oil.
For women with Candida, vaginal boric acid capsules are highly recommended. This is especially helpful for recurring cases of the infection. This is an extremely effective antifungal treatment that you can use to get rid of yeast infections. However, you should consult a doctor before using this remedy for your infection.
- Insert a 600mg boric acid capsule vaginally once a day.
- Continue doing this for 14 days and you will see that your infection is improving and will not recur.
- You can apply a solution of boric acid and water to the affected area until the infection goes away.
Note: It is important to keep in mind that this acid is toxic in large amounts and can cause acute failure of the circulatory system, kidney damage, or death if too much is absorbed. Never use boric acid orally or on broken skin. Always dilute it with water. You should also not use boric acid in any form if you are pregnant.
Yogurt contains a “friendly” strain of bacteria known as lactobacillus acidophilus which helps in controlling the growth of infections. If you are going to use yogurt to treat yeast infection, make sure that you use only plain yogurt. This is one remedy that uses bacteria to fight the fungus responsible for Candida and helps get rid of it.
- Apply plain yogurt externally on the affected area.
- Allow it to sit for 20 to 30 minutes, or overnight if possible.
- Wash off with plain water. This remedy helps in relieving the itching sensation that comes with the infection.
- For a vaginal yeast infection, dip a tampon in plain yogurt and insert inside.
- Leave it on for 2 hours.
- Repeat 2 times a day until the infection is gone.
- You should also include yogurt in your regular diet so that the infection is fought from the inside.
Hydrogen peroxide has antiseptic properties that kill bacteria and yeast. While it does not work on every type of yeast, it does work effectively for Candida when used topically. You should remember to dilute hydrogen peroxide before applying it to the genital area, and never use it for more than 5 days in a row.
- Mix hydrogen peroxide with water.
- Apply it on the affected area with a cotton ball. You can also soak the affected area in the solution.
- Do this once a day for no more than 5 days and you will get great results.
Oregano oil contains components that make it very effective for getting rid of yeast infections. It contains two powerful antifungals, which are carvacrol and thymol. Oregano oil inhibits or stops the growth of Candida albicans. Keep in mind that the oregano oil you use to treat yeast infections should be made from origanum vulgare, a wild variety of the herb. Origanum marjoram, the common oregano, does not have special properties that can treat this infection.
- Dilute 3 to 5 drops of oregano oil with 1 ounce of a carrier oil, like sweet almond oil, olive oil, etc.
- Soak the tampon in the mixture for a few minutes and insert.
- Change every 2 to 4 hours a day.
- Repeat for a few days or until you notice that the infection is gone.
Note: Make sure that you always dilute oregano oil before you use it. Additionally, do not apply it directly to the skin.
With its powerful antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, Calendula is one of the most effective natural remedies for yeast infections. You can use it in a number of ways to kill Candida albicans and get rid of your yeast infection. If you do not have fresh Calendula around, you can always use ointments or lotions made with the herb.
- Crush 2 to 3 Calendula leaves and apply it topically to the affected area.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day for a few weeks or until you notice an improvement.
- Also, drink Calendula tea made with the extract of the herb to effectively treat the infection.
Note: If you are pregnant, avoid drinking Calendula tea.
Yeast infections are common and can be treated with home remedies. These remedies are safe and bring relief within a couple of days or one week. However, if you notice that your symptoms are getting worse or that new symptoms are appearing while using any of these natural treatments, you should consult a doctor immediately.