Also known as gastric ulcers, stomach ulcers are open sores that develop within the stomach lining. They are a type of peptic ulcer, which means that they have to do with acid. These ulcers are often extremely painful due to the amount of acid that is present in the stomach and the damage it can do. The bacterium Helicobacter pylori, also known as H. pylori, is the most common cause of stomach ulcers. They can also be caused by overuse of painkillers, like aspirin, as well as other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like naproxen or ibuprofen.
Best Natural Treatments for Stomach Ulcers
Although antibiotics and medications for reducing and blocking stomach acid are often used to treat stomach ulcers, there are also some highly effective home remedies that can help you manage a stomach ulcer and help it heal, including the following:
Surprised that cayenne pepper is a home remedy for stomach ulcer? It is in fact an extremely effective one! It contains a compound called capsaicin that inhibits the secretion of stomach acids, stimulates gastric mucosal blood flow and secretion of mucus and boosts alkali production. This in turn prevents and heals stomach ulcers, making cayenne pepper one of the top natural remedies for this condition.
- Mix 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder in 1 glass of warm water.
- Drink this solution 2 times a day for the first 2 to 3 days.
- Gradually increase the amount of cayenne pepper powder to ¼ teaspoon 2 times a day for the rest of the week.
- Alternatively, take 3 cayenne capsules daily immediately after lunch or dinner for 1 week. You can purchase these capsules at health food stores.
- Also, add a pinch of cayenne pepper powder to meats, soups and other savory dishes to gain its benefits.
This is one of the best home remedies for stomach ulcers. Cabbage is a lactic acid food which makes it produce an amino acid that helps in stimulating blood flow to the lining of the stomach. This in turn makes the stomach lining strong and heals the ulcer. Cabbage is also a good source of Vitamin C, which has been found to benefit those with infections caused by H. pylori. Stock your refrigerator with cabbage to treat your stomach ulcer naturally.
- Cut ½ a raw head of cabbage and 2 carrots into small pieces.
- Extract the juice in a blender.
- Drink ½ cup of this juice before each meal and before you go to bed.
- Repeat every day for a few weeks. Keep in mind to make a fresh batch of juice each time.
Because of its antibacterial properties, coconut is beneficial for people who suffer from stomach ulcers as it eliminates the bacteria that cause the ulcer. Additionally, coconut water and coconut milk both have anti-ulcer properties, which makes coconut one of the best natural treatments for stomach ulcers.
- Drink a few cups of fresh coconut juice or coconut milk every day.
- You should also eat the kernel of tender coconuts.
- Follow this remedy for at least 1 week and you will notice positive results.
- You can also take 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in the morning and at night for 1 week.
Fenugreek is a popular natural remedy for a number of ailments and conditions as it has powerful healing properties and a number of health benefits. It is also an excellent remedy for stomach ulcers. It is rich in a mucilaginous compound which helps it in coating the lining of the stomach like mucus and protecting it. This in turn facilitates the process of healing, giving you relief from the ulcer.
- Boil 1 teaspoon of fenugreek in 2 cups of water.
- Strain, add a bit of honey for flavor and drink the solution.
- You can also consume 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seed powder with 1 cup of milk.
- Another remedy is to boil 1 cup of fenugreek leaves.
- Add a little honey and eat the leaves 2 times a day.
- Follow the remedy of your choice 2 times a day for about a week.
There have been several studies suggesting that licorice is highly effective for the treatment and prevention of stomach ulcers. It boosts the production of productive mucus in the stomach and intestines, forming a coating over the lining of the stomach. This in turn helps in relieving the pain that comes with a stomach ulcer and also speeding up the healing process.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of licorice root powder in 1 cup of water.
- Cover and allow to sit overnight.
- The next morning, add 1 cup of cooked broken white rice into the liquid and eat the mixture.
- Repeat once a day for 1 week for best results.
- Drinking licorice tea 2 to 3 times a day for 1 week can also help treat stomach ulcers.
- Alternatively, chewing and swallowing 2 or 3 380-mg DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) tablets 3 times daily for about 1 week can effectively help in treating and preventing stomach ulcers. You will find these tablets available in health food stores.
This is another great natural remedy for stomach ulcers, and it is also one of the simplest. Research has discovered that garlic’s antimicrobial and antibacterial properties can keep H. pylori bacterium levels – which contribute to the development of this painful ulcer – in check. Garlic is known to have many powerful medicinal properties so when you use it to treat a stomach ulcer, you also gain the many health benefits it has to offer.
- Consume 2 or 3 crushed cloves of garlic followed by a glass of water during the day.
- Repeat every day to help in easing inflammation in the stomach and preventing stomach ulcers.
Home remedies are becoming increasingly popular among people suffering from stomach ulcers as they have proven to be highly effective and are natural and safe. Unlike anti-ulcer medications that cause side effects like diarrhea and headaches, these remedies have no negative effects and in fact, come with many health benefits. If you have a stomach ulcer, try these home remedies and find one that works best for you.