Do you have dark spots on your skin that you really want to get rid of? What you have is a common problem that is known as brown spots, sun spots, age spots or liver spots. These spots are caused by an increased production of melanocytes, cells that increase melanin in the skin. The increase in melanocyte production is caused by exposure to the skin and ultimately turns the skin darker. Although age spots are harmless, they do look unattractive and the sooner you get rid of them, the better. You can do just that with these simple home remedies!
Here are some of the best home remedies to help you get rid of brown spots:
Yogurt, being a dairy product, contains essential acids that can help in lightening age spots and making them disappear. It contains “good” bacteria that have enzymes that can help in breaking down proteins like melanin in the skin. If you want to lighten dark spots and eventually get rid of them, you should try plain yogurt which does not contain sweeteners or additives.
- Rub plain yogurt directly on the dark spots on your skin.
- Leave it on and allow it to dry naturally.
- Rinse off with cool water.
- Or, mix yogurt with other ingredients that contain antioxidants and bioflavonoids that can help in lightening brown spots when combined with yogurt.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel, turmeric powder or mustard powder with plain yogurt.
- Apply the mixture on areas with spots and leave it on until it dries.
- Rinse it off with cool water and moisturize as usual.
- Repeat these remedies 2 times a day until you get visible results.
As you may know, lemon juice is a great natural remedy for skin issues like pimples, acne, etc. But did you know that it can lighten dark spots too? It acts as a natural bleaching agent that lightens skin as well as blemishes like age spots, acne scars and more.
- Squeeze out some fresh lemon juice and apply it directly on the spots with a cotton swab.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat 2 times a day for about 2 months for best results.
- If you have sensitive skin, dilute the lemon juice with honey, rose water or water.
- Another remedy is a paste made with lemon juice and sugar.
- Apply it on your face and rub the dark spots for 5 to 10 minutes like you would with a facial scrub.
- Rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat a few times a week until you get positive results.
Pineapple contains enzymes, including bromelain that can break down proteins like melanin in the skin into colorless smaller parts. This in turn helps in lightening dark spots and other blemishes. You can use the juice or make a pineapple mask to get rid of brown spots on your skin.
- Extract the juice from a slice or 2 of fresh pineapple.
- Apply it directly on your dark spots with a cotton swab.
- Leave it on to dry naturally and then rinse off with cool water.
- Or, make a pineapple mask by mashing a few slices of the fruit.
- Apply the mask on your face and other areas with dark spots.
- Leave it on until it dries and then rinse it off with cool water.
- Repeat 2 times a day until your dark spots become light or disappear completely.
Sandalwood is known for its many benefits for skin. Not only is it an excellent anti-aging agent, but also a powerful natural antiseptic that can help in reducing hyperpigmentation and getting rid of dark spots.
- Make a homemade face pack by mixing 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder, 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and glycerin and 2 teaspoons of rose water.
- Apply the paste on your dark spots and let it dry naturally.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat several times a week until your dark spots are gone.
- Or, mix 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder, the contents of 2 Vitamin E capsules, 1 tablespoon of orange juice and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to form a paste.
- Apply it on your face and leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Wash it off with cool water.
- Do this a few times a week until your dark spots are gone.
- Another effective remedy is to mix a few drops of sandalwood oil with 1 tablespoon of almond or olive oil. Massage the oil blend on the affected area before you go to bed and leave it on overnight. Do this every night for best results.
Papaya contains certain enzymes and alpha-hydroxy acids that exfoliate the skin and reduce dark spots, acne, other blemishes and other skin issues. Your skin will look cleaner and brighter when you use this remedy regularly.
- Grate fresh papaya to get 1 tablespoon of the fruit.
- Rub it on your dark spots and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2 times a day until your dark spots are gone.
- Note: You might be allergic to papaya, so do a 24-hour patch test before you follow this remedy.
Castor oil is well known for its many skin benefits. The antioxidants it contains can help in protecting and lightening your skin. If you want to fade your age spots, you should give castor oil a try.
- Add a few drops of castor oil on a cotton ball.
- Dab the areas with dark spots and allow your skin to soak in the oil.
- Leave it on to allow the oil to work its magic.
- Continue until you notice an improvement.
An unusual but effective natural treatment for getting rid of age spots is onion juice. Its acidic nature and bleaching properties help in fading away dark spots and making your skin look clear and fresh. You can also use garlic juice.
- Rub a few slices of onion on the areas with dark spots 2 or 3 times a day.
- Or, mix 1 tablespoon of onion juice and 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Apply it on the affected area and leave it for 15 minutes or so.
- Wash it off thoroughly to make sure that the strong onion smell goes away.
- Repeat 1 or 2 times a day until you see results.
Forget about store-bought creams and ointments that promise to remove dark spots and other blemishes from your skin. They are expensive and many contain harmful chemicals. Home remedies take time to show results, but they do work and are safe and good for your skin. With a little patience, you can follow these home remedies to get bright, blemish-free skin.