Tired of pesky fruit flies attacking your seasonal produce before you even get a chance to enjoy it? These pesky little uninvited guests definitely know how to outstay their welcome once they settle in and it does not take long for them to take over your kitchen. Are you looking for answers on how to get rid of fruit flies that plague your kitchen and home? You will be glad to know that there are many simple ways to rid your kitchen of these flying pests using easy-to-get ingredients and supplies.
Here is a look at a few quick and simple ways to get rid of fruit flies for good:
ACV – Apple Cider Vinegar
Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar is a popular home remedy for a wide range of issues. If you looking for a way to naturally get rid of these tiny insects, simply reach out to the bottle of apple cider vinegar stashed in your kitchen cabinet. Keep in mind that the result of using this method is not pretty, but it is incredibly effective. Fruit flies cannot resist the scent of this vinegar and you can use this to your advantage and eliminate them for good.(1)
- Pour some raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar into a glass – it does not have to be full.
- Use plastic wrap to cover the opening and secure it with a rubber band.
- Now, use a pin to make a really small hole in the plastic for the fruit flies to enter.
- Once they enter the glass through the hole, they will not be able to escape.
A Paper Cone and Piece of Fruit
This is another clever way to trap fruit flies and keep them from attacking your stash of yummy foods. It is rather easy to put together and you will be very satisfied with the results. With this method, you use scrap paper instead of plastic, so you can compost it later.
- Pour in a little vinegar into a jar and place a chunk of very ripe fruit inside.
- Next, roll a piece of paper to make a cone and place it into the jar with the narrow opening down.
- The vinegar and chunk of fruit will draw the fruit flies into the jar and they will not be able to get out.
Vinegar and Liquid Dish Soap
If you tried the plastic wrap method and found that the fruit flies are impervious to it, you should try another method that will definitely work. All you need is two ingredients that you are guaranteed to already have in your home –liquid dish soap and some vinegar, plus a bowl. Studies have shown that these flies will be drawn to the pleasantly fragrant acetoin in vinegar. This remedy will help you get rid of those pesky bugs and keep your fruits safe for everyone to enjoy.
- Add 3 drops of liquid dish soap into a bowl of vinegar.
- Leave the bowl uncovered.
- The vinegar, as you already know, will attract the fruit flies.
- The dish soap will cut the vinegar’s surface tension and once the insects are in the bowl, they will sink and drown.
Sugar, Pepper and Milk
Are you wondering how sugar, milk and pepper could possibly help in eliminating fruit flies? Well, you will be pleasantly surprised by how well this remedy works to get the job done. Found in an Old Farmer’s Almanac, this method is tried and true so you know that it will work well in helping you get rid of fruit flies. It is simple yet effective – you should definitely give it a try.
- Mix 4 ounces of sugar and 2 ounces of ground pepper with 1 pint of milk in a saucepan.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, pour the mixture into a shallow dish.
- Fruit flies will fly right into mixture and quickly drown.
Sugar, Honey and White Wine
This is a method that uses sweet bait to lure fruit flies so you can get rid of them. These three ingredients will attract the flies and once they take the bait, they will have no place to escape. Sweet things attract these pesky insects, which is why they hover over fruits and attack them, making them inedible for you and your family. Use this remedy to effectively trap fruit flies and then eliminate them.
- Place a few pieces of skinless fruit, like a banana or an orange, in a large or medium-sized bowl with some balsamic vinegar.
- Add sugar, honey and white wine to the mix. The white wine renders the concoction a lot more pungent.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap – make sure that the plastic wrap is as taut as you can get it.
- Poke lots of small holes in the plastic – you can use a fork or any other implement. Try to keep the holes as small as you can so that the flies cannot escape once they are inside the bowl.
- Place the bowl in a fruit fly-infested area and leave it overnight.
- The next morning, you will find the bowl brimming with fruit flies. Take the bowl outside before you kill them so that any escapees do not re-infest your kitchen.
- Remove the plastic wrap and pour in a mixture of warm water and dish soap to kill the fruit flies.
- Wait about 2 minutes before discarding the contents of the bowl.
- Wash the bowl with hot water and use it again to make a new sweet trap.
Banana smell attracts fruit flies, making it one of the best lures to use when you want to get rid of fruit flies permanently. These bugs have an exceptional sense of smell, especially for sugary foods, and the flesh of bananas provides a suitable refreshment for larvae – both are reasons why fruit flies will be attracted to your trap quickly.
- Cut 1 banana into 4 pieces and place them in a transparent bowl or container.
- Cover the bowl or container with clear plastic – make sure that it is securely in place.
- Make 4 to 5 holes in the plastic with a toothpick, making sure that they are big enough to allow the fruit flies in.
- Now, position this container about a feet or two, away from your trash can or fruit basket so that the banana smell will be strong enough for fruit flies to recognize.
- Once the fruit flies are trapped inside, get rid of the contents, clean the container and reuse for another trap.
When used in concentrated form, grapefruit oil is an extremely effective way to get rid of fruit flies. You can use this oil to lure these insects. Research has found that grapefruit oil increases the attraction of fruit flies to synthetic food-odor lure. The strong smell of grapefruit oil will help in drawing every fruit fly hiding even in the most concealed parts of your home.
- Pour 100ml of undiluted grapefruit oil into a glass jar.
- Cover the jar with plastic wrap or a transparent polybag, ensuring that it is secure with a rubber band.
- Punch a few holes big enough for fruit flies to fit.
- Once done, the fruit flies will crawl into the jar and will not be able to escape again.
- Once they are trapped, you can get rid of them along with the grapefruit oil and make a new trap.
Fruit flies can get on to your nerves. The only thing that often comes to mind when dealing with fruit flies, is bug sprays. But, these sprays contain chemicals that are harmful, especially when you use them near foods – even if you will be washing them thoroughly after. Your best option is to use the home remedies mentioned above as they are safe and very effective. These methods are also easy to make so you do not have to spend a lot of time or hassle preparing them. With a few handy ingredients and supplies that you already have at home, you can get rid of pesky fruit flies and save your fruits for you and your family to enjoy.