Also known as a love bite or kiss mark, a hickey is actually a type of bruise. They appear when the skin is sucked or kissed too hard, resulting in broken capillaries and blood pooling that turns the skin purple or red in color. While it heals in time, a hickey will usually last more than one week. People often hide hickeys with makeup or scarves as it can be quite embarrassing. The good news is that you can also get rid of hickeys with home remedies.
Home Remedies for Hickeys
Here are a few natural remedies that can help you get rid of hickeys:
Blood clots need to be broken apart to make the blood spread out to heal a hickey. Applying a cold compress to the affected area can do this. Any type of cold compress will constrict capillaries that have ruptured and also reduce bleeding. This is a simple but effective way to get rid of a hickey.(1)
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a paper towel and press it lightly against your skin for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this several times a day. Make sure not to apply ice directly on your skin as it can lead to an ice burn.
- Or, put a spoon in your refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Wrap the spoon in a cloth and rub it over the hickey gently until the spoon is not cool anymore.
- Repeat this several times a day until the hickey disappears.
Are you wondering how a banana peel could help with a hickey? You may be surprised by how effective it is. Banana peels have cooling and soothing properties that can effectively help in reducing your hickey quickly. If you have a hickey you want to get rid of, just peel a banana and use the peel to do the job.
- Cut a banana peel into a piece that fits the size of your hickey.
- Place the inside of the peel on the hickey for 10 to 30 minutes.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day to reduce the bruise.
Because it is an excellent natural moisturizer, aloe vera can help in reducing the sensitivity of the skin around the hickey. It also has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that will speed up the healing process of the burst capillaries. Aloe vera has many skin benefits that will not only get rid of love bites, but also improve the health of your skin.
- Extract the gel of a fresh aloe vera juice and massage it into the hickey.
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times every day until the bruise is gone.
- If you do not have an aloe vera plant at home, there are aloe vera-based lotions and creams that you can use. Apply the lotion or cream on the hickey 2 to 3 times a day for 2 or 3 days and your hickey will be gone.
If your hickey is 2 or 3 days old, a warm compress can help you get rid of it. It will dilate the capillaries and trigger the circulation of fresh new blood. This in turn will help in clearing up the bruise. This is one of the simplest and most effective remedies to get rid of love bites.
- Soak a washcloth in hot water and wring out the excess water.
- Hold the cloth on the affected area for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this 3 times a day for best results.
- Or, you can use a hair dryer for applying heat to the hickey.
- Gently massage the affected area with your fingers to improve blood circulation.
- You can also use a heat patch available in pharmacies. Make sure that you use the patch as directed.
Are you surprised to see pineapple as a remedy for hickeys? Well, it is a really great natural treatment for it. It contains bromelain which is extremely helpful in fading bruises and relieving pain. If you have a hickey or hickeys you want to get rid of, just get a pineapple and munch on it while getting rid of your problem at the same time.
- Simply cut a few slices of pineapple.
- Gently rub the affected area with it for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this 4 to 5 times a day until your hickey disappears.
- Or, dip a cloth in fresh pineapple juice and apply it on the affected area until you get the desired result.
Rich in Vitamin C, oranges are armed with the nutrient that works effectively in repairing damaged skin. Additionally, Vitamin C is also known to have powerful healing properties that make it helpful for quickly getting rid of hickeys. This is a simple and delicious, and effective, way to eliminate hickeys.
- Drink a glass of fresh orange juice just after you get a hickey. You can also eat oranges to get the result you want.
- If you do not have oranges, take 500 mg of Vitamin C capsules 3 times a day for 1 week to help in rebuilding your collagen.
When you want to get rid of hickeys, peppermint oil is a foolproof remedy that works fast. It stimulates blood circulation, which prevents blood clots from forming. This is what makes this oil an excellent home remedy for hickeys. However, you should keep in mind that you should not use peppermint oil for getting rid of hickeys for more than 2 days because it can irritate the skin.
- Take 2 to 3 drops of peppermint oil and massage the affected area with it.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day until the bruise goes away.
- You may feel a tingling sensation, but do not worry as it will help you get rid of the hickey.
Hickeys can be embarrassing, but you do not have to wait a week for them to disappear. Just pick one of the home remedies mentioned above to get rid of the problem. These remedies are natural and safe and will work wonders in helping you get rid of hickeys fast.