Are you tired of pimples popping up and taking forever to go away? You are not the only one. You have probably spent a lot of money on different products that promise to help you get rid of this embarrassing and irritating problem. Stop spending your money on these products and opt for natural remedies to help you get rid of pimples. There are many effective home remedies that can get rid of this common skin issue quickly and even prevent it from recurring.
Here are a few simple but effective home remedies to help you get rid of pimples:
One of the best natural treatments for pimples is lemon juice. The Vitamin C that the citrus fruit, contains helps in drying up pimples faster. Keep in mind that you should not use bottled juice as they contain preservatives and additives. Fresh lemon juice is the way to go for treating pimples, and you can use it different ways, depending on your needs and convenience.
- Squeeze out a bit of fresh lemon juice and dip a clean cotton swab in it.
- Apply the juice directly on your pimples before going to bed.
- Leave it on overnight and wash off thoroughly the next morning.
- Or, mix 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Apply on your pimples and leave it on overnight.
- Wash it off thoroughly with lukewarm water the next morning. (You should not use this remedy if you have sensitive skin).
There are certain essential oils that have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can effectively help in clearing pimples up quickly. Rose, clove, cinnamon and lavender essential oils have been found to be excellent in fighting the bacteria that cause pimples – P. acnes and S. epidermidis. Additionally, it has been found that lemongrass and rosemary essential oils inhibit P. acnes. Sweet basil and orange essential oils have shown to speed up the healing process of pimples.
- Mix 1 part essential oil with 9 parts water.
- Apply the mixture directly on the pimples with a cotton swab.
- If you desire, apply moisturizer.
- Repeat 1 to 2 times daily until your pimples are gone.
Note: Essential oils are highly concentrated and if applied directly to the skin, they can cause irritation. Always dilute essential oils when using them to treat pimples or any other skin issue.
Ice is great for quickly reducing the inflammation, swelling and redness that comes with pimples. It improves blood circulation in the affected area and tightening pores. It also helps in removing excess oil and dirt that has accumulated in the skin – this is one of the most common causes of pimples. Crushed ice or ice cubes – both work well in getting rid of pimples quickly.
- Take 1 ice cube and wrap it in a clean cloth.
- Hold it on your pimple for a few seconds.
- Wait 2 to 3 minutes and repeat the process.
- Repeat as many times as required.
Note: Do not apply ice directly on your skin as it can cause frost bite.
Tea Tree Oil
When it comes to skin problems, tea tree oil is perhaps one of the most popular remedies. It has antibacterial properties that make it effective in fighting the pimple-causing bacteria. It also has properties that soothe and reduce inflammation and redness that often come with this skin problem. Tea tree oil also helps in drying out blackheads and whiteheads.
- Dip a cotton ball in tea tree oil and apply it directly on your pimples.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse it off thoroughly.
- Or, take 1 tablespoon of fresh aloe vera gel and add a few drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply the mixture on your pimples and leave on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water.
Note: Do not use tea tree oil if you have sensitive skin.
Do you drink green tea to gain its benefits? What if you learnt that you can use it topically to treat pimples too? It contains tannins and flavanoids that help in fighting inflammation and bacteria that may be responsible for causing pimples. Green tea is also rich in epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), an antioxidant that has been found to reduce sebum production, combat inflammation and inhibit P. acnes growth in people who have skin that is prone to acne.
- Steep green tea in boiling hot water for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Let it cool and pour into a spray bottle or a cup.
- Spritz it on the affected area or apply with a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse off with water. You can also leave it on overnight.
- Repeat 1 to 2 times a day until your pimples disappear.
- Store the leftover tea in your refrigerator. It can last for up to 2 weeks.
Pimples often come with swelling and inflammation, and chamomile can effectively help in reducing them. It has a soothing effect on the skin, which also eases painful outbreaks. Chamomile has many properties that not only get rid of pimples, but also provide other benefits to give you clear, healthy skin.
- Form a paste with the contents of 1 chamomile tea bag and a bit of water.
- Apply the paste on your pimples or on the entire affected area.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes or until it dries and then wash off with water.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day until your pimples are gone.
- Or, you can steep 2 chamomile tea bags in 1 cup of boiling hot water for 15 minutes.
- Let the tea cool and then dip a cotton ball in it.
- Apply the tea on the affected area after cleansing.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse off.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day for a week or until your pimples disappear.
Did you know that toothpaste works wonders for pimples? It is effective in getting rid of this skin problem fast. You will find that toothpaste works best when you use it after applying ice to your pimples. Keep in mind that only white toothpaste works to get rid of pimples – gel toothpaste will not do anything to help you with this problem.
- Apply some white toothpaste on your pimples at night before you go to bed.
- Leave it on overnight and wash it off the next morning.
- You can repeat this during the day as well. You will notice an improvement in the swelling.
- If you use toothpaste during the day, make sure that you leave it on for at least 15 minutes to reduce your pimples.
Pimples are annoying and at times, painful. However, with these simple home remedies, you can treat and get rid of them quickly. They are safe, so you never have to worry about side effects. So the next time you feel a pimple starting to form, look around your home to find the best ingredient to get rid of the problem.