Alcoholism is a progressive disease, which means that it will become serious and its effects will worsen with every passing day. In the present scenario, you will find different treatment options available, which will help you to recover and get back to a healthy life. The goal of this treatment is to quit alcohol. In order to quit alcoholism, you need a concrete support system and motivation.
The most prominent signs and symptoms of alcoholism is the inability to keep a control on its consumption. When alcohol is not available to drink, the alcoholic person may get annoyed. Many people experience physical symptoms like sweating, shaking of hands and nausea.
Excessive alcohol drinking may lead to multiple health problems, including liver disease, heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, sexual debility, neurological complications and weakened immunity system.
The treatment for alcoholism has three stages alcoholic detox, rehabilitation and maintaining sobriety.
How to Treat Alcoholism
This is the first and the most difficult step in treating alcoholism. After you quit drinking alcohol, you will have a strong desire to consume it. Withdrawal symptoms will make you uncomfortable; you need to complete the alcohol detox stage under medical supervision. Treatment specialists will give you proper medication to relieve your pain so that you can concentrate on getting better.
An inpatient rehabilitation facility is designed to provide a structured treatment environment for those who want to overcome alcoholism. Individuals can stay in this rehabilitation facility for a period of 30, 60 or 90 days depending on the severity. Treatment specialists will provide complete information as how to overcome triggers and relapse.
Alcohol counselor will communicate and give proper guidance to alcoholic persons during the recovery process. Your therapist will understand the underlying issues that may be responsible for your drinking problem like family issues or business losses.
Alcoholism is related to assault, accidental injury increasing divorce rates and suicide attempts. It is difficult for an alcoholic to overcome an addiction without proper support. If you do not accept that you are an alcoholic, it means you are delaying the treatment. That is why it is imperative for the family members to accept it and give proper support. There are a couple of changes, which you need to do along with the professional help. You have to make healthy changes in your diet and lifestyle to combat with this situation.
Regular physical activity is beneficial in minimizing the long-term effects of alcoholism. The Journal of Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research published a report in 2013, which says that regular physical exercise can save your brain from damaging. Physical activity is good for saving from loss of cognitive functions due to heavy drinking.
Exercise will regulate the hormonal secretion in your body, which will reduce the stress level, elevate your mood and enable you to cope with depression. Regular physical activity promotes quality sleep at night. Now you may be aware about the physical and mental benefits of exercise. This is the reason why rehabilitation programs of alcoholics have exercise as one of their important components.
If you are struggling with alcoholism, then incorporate brisk walking, swimming, or aerobics in your lifestyle. If you cannot choose the exercises on your own, consult your physician.
This is a form of ancient Chinese medicine, useful in treating different body ailments. The Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment published a report in 2002 on the role of acupuncture in treating alcoholism. It says by giving right pressure on the ear will reduce the desire of alcohol. This is beneficial in resisting alcohol cravings and preventing relapse. Acupuncture will reduce anxiety and depression. It is imperative to take the services of a trained practitioner.
Healthy diet plays a significant role when you are dealing with withdrawal symptoms. Regular intake of alcohol reduces the body’s ability to absorb nutrients; this is the reason why nutritional deficiencies are common in alcoholics. Your body is in need of vitamins and minerals to cope with the side effects of alcohol.
- Consume food items, which have vitamin B12 to regulate the liver functioning. It will also help you in controlling alcoholic cravings.
- Food items, which have good quantity of amino acids, will elevate your mood and you can come out of the addiction cycle easily.
- Decrease the intake of sugar, caffeine and nicotine because it may contribute in increasing your urge to drink.
- Food items, which have vitamin C will reduce the desire for alcohol. Vitamins C will also improve your brain functioning.
Consume whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables and complex carbohydrates maintain blood sugar levels.
Yoga postures will rejuvenate the connection between your body and mind. Yoga is also good in improving physical strength. It will regulate the hormonal secretion and decrease stress levels. Meditation is good for relaxing your mind, body and soul. It is imperative to join a yoga class or learn yoga postures from an expert.
This herb is widely used to overcome the withdrawal symptoms of alcohol. This will detoxify the liver tissues and regulate the production of bile.
- Add 1-teaspoon of dandelion root in water and boil it for 10 minutes. Strain it, and drink to 3 cups daily for a couple of weeks.
- You can also take 500 MG dandelion capsule three times a day. It is imperative to consult your physician before you start taking any supplement.
Coconut oil is a much sought after natural remedy to treat alcohol addiction. Regular intake of alcohol is responsible for insulin resistance due to oxidative stress, it also disturbs brain glucose metabolism. Coconut oil has antioxidants and saturated fats in good quantity. This is considered as a super food for decreasing cholesterol level and providing energy.
- Take 2 to 3 tablespoons of coconut oil regularly.
- You can add it in your drinks, or cook your food with this oil.
- Tell your friends and family members that you need their support to quit alcoholism.
- Stay away from those friends who are regular drinkers.
- Take eight hours of quality sleep every day.
- Drink plenty of water, this will help your body to recover faster and prevent dehydration.
- Spend time with your family members and children.
- Listen music in times of stress and discover a passion to keep you engaged.