What are Antioxidants?
Antioxidants are the substances that protect the body from the diseases. Antioxidants are very important for the health because these include vitamins and minerals which mostly present in the plants. These antioxidants are presents in food, fruits and vegetable. Antioxidants are used to prevent the depreciation of food products present in human body. Many dietary supplements are rich in antioxidant, hence eating a diet with lots of vegetables and fruits are healthy and lower the risks of certain diseases. They manage and prevent our body from some medical issues such as; cancer, macular degeneration and skin problems. Our body already contains some amount of antioxidants and free radicals, while we get other externally from eating high antioxidant foods. We can also add antioxidant to the food and homemade products to prevent the oxidation and spoilage.
Antioxidants are beneficial for the body as they neutralize and remove the free radicals from the bloodstream. Antioxidants are present in the wide range like; betacarotene, lyconpene, flavonoid, and proanthocyanidins. Each antioxidant provides benefit to different part of body i.e. eyes, heart, skin etc.
Top 10 Foods High in Antioxidants
- Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate benefits your body by fighting radicals present in your body. Dark chocolate contains polyphenols and flavonoids antioxidants in the higher amount, so more bits of dark chocolate means more antioxidant you will consume. Dark chocolate is also considered as a good cancer-fighting food. As dark chocolate is rich in flavanols antioxidant which helps to lower the blood pressure and improve the blood flow to the heart and brain and keeps the heart healthy. The cocoa butter in the dark chocolate contains the stearic acid which helps to keep the cholesterol neutral.
- Whole Grains: To make this change in your diet is also beneficial to the health. Switch to whole grains for instance; replace brown bread or white bread with the whole grain bread, switch to brown rice instead of white rice. Whole grains are very useful for the prevention of heart diseases, diabetes, obesity and stroke. These help in maintaining the bowel movements and promote healthy bacteria in the colon. Whole grains are rich in nutrients, vitamins B, iron, zinc, selenium, copper, which are useful for the health.
- Kidney Beans: Kidney beans have several diseases fighting antioxidants and contain magnesium, iron, potassium, protein. Everyone loves to eat kidney because of its taste, texture and flavour without knowing its benefits for the health. Mangese present in kidney beans acts as an antioxidant which contains vitamin K which protect cells from oxidative stress. Vitamin K is beneficial for the brain and nervous system. These beans also contain thiamine required by the brain for the continuous function.
- Blackberries: Among all fruits, Blackberry contains antioxidants in the higher amount and also contains a high amount of vitamin K and vitamin C. Anthocyanins present in blackberry are good for preventing skin diseases, inflammation and improve circulation. The insoluble fibre present in blackberry helps in better absorption of water in the large intestine. Folate which is another antioxidant in the blackberry reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s and cancer diseases. This is useful in protecting your body from the chronic inflammation which is responsible for the maximum number of diseases. Blackberry and the component present in them have the capability protect brain cell from degeneration and increase the brain performance.
- Spinach: This is one of the green leafy vegetables which is rich in antioxidant. Spinach contains lutein, zeaxanthin, beta-carotene, the source of vitamin i.e. vitamin A, K, C and magnesium, folate, iron, calcium etc. Beta-carotene antioxidant is beneficial for the eyesight, because this prevents people from suffering itching eye, eye ulcers and dry eyes. The vitamin K in spinach helps in retaining calcium in the bones matrix. The minerals like magnesium, zinc, phosphorous are helpful in maintaining teeth and nails healthier.
- Beetroot: This is a rich source of the mineral, vitamin and protein and helpful in increasing the blood circulation in the body. Beetroot is a perfect food for the skin care, losing weight, lowering blood pressure and fighting with cancer etc. Beetroot contains nitrates and which are useful to expand the walls of blood vessels. The betalains present in beetroots are used for the certain treatment of depression and to. This also helps to keep the skin healthier and glowing as it is rich in vitamin.
- Broccoli: This vegetable is rich in many nutrients good for your health because it is high in fibers which prevent constipation, and maintain low blood pressure. It contains glucoraphanin, which acts as a cancer-fighting compound. The soluble fiber in the broccoli is useful to draw cholesterol out of the body. It contains calcium and vitamin k, which are important for the bone health.
- Garlic: Garlic is one of the best antioxidants which bacteria and fungus infection. This is highly nutritious and contains manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, Selenium and fiber. This helps in maintain the cholesterol levels which further lower the risk of heart disease. Antioxidants in garlic prevent from alzheimer’s diseases, dementia and lower the blood pressure.
- Orange: Orange is rich in vitamin C, fiber, folate, vitamin B, copper, potassium and calcium. This is beneficial in lowering cholesterol and blood pressure, preventing from diabetes and digestion and fight against cancer.
- Pomegranates: This is one of the healthiest fruit which contains fiber, protein, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate and potassium. There are lots of benefits of pomegranate like; lower the risk of heart diseases, fights with fungal and bacterial infection, improve memory and lower the blood pressure etc.