Acid reflux is a common problem characterized by burning pain around the lower chest or heartburn, which is caused by stomach acid that is moving up into the esophagus. The pain tends to get worse when you bend down or lie down. When acid reflux becomes severe or chronic, it is known as gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD. If it is not treated, it can result in serious complications, including esophageal cancer and Barrett’s esophagus. If you have a mild case of acid reflux, you can relieve the symptoms with the help of home remedies.
Here is a look at some of the best home remedies for acid reflux:
Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and healing properties that help in soothing inflammation in the esophagus and stomach and relieving the symptoms of acid reflux. It is believed that aloe vera can protect the gastrointestinal tract and ease heartburn. If you suffer from acid reflux, aloe vera juice is one of the best natural remedies to provide relief.
- Drink 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice 20 minutes before you eat a meal.
- Do this on a regular basis until you get relief from the symptoms of acid reflux.(1)
Note: Avoid drinking aloe vera juice excessively as it may have a laxative effect.
Apple Cider Vinegar
When it comes to natural treatments for acid reflux, apple cider vinegar is another very effective remedy. It helps in balancing the production of acid in the stomach and aids in digestion as well. Apple cider vinegar is an important ingredient in home remedies for treating a wide range of health conditions as well as skin problems, so it is a good idea to have a bottle in your kitchen at all times.
- Mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of warm water.
- Drink the solution 20 to 30 minutes before meals.
- Continue to do this on a regular basis for at least a couple of months.
- When heartburn strikes suddenly, drinking apple cider vinegar mixed with water can provide the relief you need.(2)
Because it has stomach-healing properties, licorice root is an effective natural remedy for acid reflux. It has a soothing effect on the mucus membranes and protects the gut lining. Licorice root also helps in reducing gastric spasms and gastric inflammation.
- Boil 1/2 teaspoon of licorice root powder in 1 cup of water.
- Strain and drink it 15 to 20 minutes before you eat your meals.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a day for 1 week for great results.
- Or, take 1 to 2 400mg chewable deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) tablets before 2 or 3 times a day before meals. Continue to do this for at least 2 to 3 weeks. This supplement is available in most natural food stores.
Note: Consult your doctor before using licorice root for acid reflux.
Lemon juice, when mixed with warm water, is a great home remedy to relieve the symptoms of acid reflux. It helps the body balance out its levels of acid naturally and is a superb digestive aid. What makes lemon juice an ideal for this condition is that it is suitable for all users. Next time you feel the symptoms of acid reflux, just head to your kitchen and grab a lemon.
- Drink 1 cup of fresh lemon juice mixed with warm water the first thing in the morning.
- Drinking this mixture 15 to 20 minutes before eating anything else can help you prevent acid reflux from striking.
- Repeat this every day until you notice that the symptoms are reduced or do not affect you anymore.
Fennel is known to be an excellent digestive aid and helps in suppressing stomach spasms. It contains anethole, a compound that helps in calming spasms in the gastrointestinal tract. The compound also anti-inflammatory effects that are beneficial for acid reflux and issues that affect the digestive system.
- Chew 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds after eating meals.
- Or, boil 1 teaspoons of fennel seeds in 1 cup of water.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink the fennel tea 2 or 3 times a day.
- Continue this remedy for a few days until the symptoms of acid reflux are reduced.
Because they help in stimulating digestion, cumin seeds are an effective home remedy for acid reflux and managing its symptoms. They are also great for reducing digestive problems such as gas and acidity. If you are prone to suffering from heartburn, it is a good idea to have this spice in your kitchen at all times.
- Boil 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds in 1 cup of water.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes and strain.
- Drink this cumin tea in the morning as well as after each meal.
- Repeat for a few days or until you notice that your condition has improved.
- It is also a good idea to add cumin seeds to your cooking.
Also known as sodium bicarbonate, baking soda is another excellent home remedy for treating acid reflux. It is a natural antacid that works to provide quick relief from heartburn, which is one of the most common symptoms of acid reflux. However, you should bear in mind that you should not ingest baking soda for a prolonged period. Additionally, as it contains sodium, baking soda is not recommended for people with high blood pressure.
- Mix 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 cup of water.
- Drink the solution quickly for instant relief.
- Do this every time you feel a heartburn coming on or experience symptoms of acid reflux.
Acid reflux can cause a lot of discomfort, sometimes even severe pain. One of the best ways to find relief is to use home remedies that are both safe and effective. However, if you notice your condition getting worse, you should immediately consult a doctor to get the appropriate treatment. Remember, as mentioned earlier, that leaving acid reflux untreated can cause serious complications.