Do your acne scars make you feel self-conscious and embarrassed to be seen? You are not alone. Many people say that their acne scars affect their confidence and keep them from going out and meeting people. But you do not have to live with them forever. There are many home remedies that can help you get rid of your acne scars and give you bright, beautiful and blemish-free skin. Just remember to follow the remedies regularly and diligently as they can take a little time to work their magic, but it will be worth the time and effort!
Here is a look at some of the best home remedies to help you get rid of unsightly acne scars:
Have you noticed that sandalwood is often used in natural beauty products? This is because it contains many substances that benefit the skin and keep it glowing with health. You can also use it to reduce your acne scars and ultimately make them disappear. Sandalwood will give you the results you want and benefit your skin in many other ways too.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of sandalwood powder and rose water to form a paste.
- Apply it on your face or the area affected by acne scars and leave it on overnight.
- Wash it off the next morning with cold water and moisturize as usual.
- Repeat this daily until you notice an improvement in your scars.
As you may know, lemon juice is an excellent natural bleaching agent. It also contains Vitamin C, which is important for rebuilding collagen. Using lemon juice daily will help in lightening your acne scars. The acid it contains brightens the skin and also makes scars less visible. Just remember not to expose your skin to the skin while applying lemon juice.
- Take 1 fresh lemon and squeeze out the juice.
- Apply it directly on your acne scars with a cotton ball or with clean hands.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash off with cold water.
- You can also add a bit of honey for a little extra help with your scars.
- Do this once a day for 2 to 3 weeks.
Note: dilute lemon juice with rose water if you have sensitive skin.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature, which makes it effective for lightening pigmentation on the skin and reducing the appearance of acne scars. It also stimulates the production of collagen, removes dead skin cells and repair cells. Apple cider vinegar also evens out skin tone and may help in preventing scarring in the future.
- Mix equal amounts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water.
- Soak a cotton ball with the mixture and apply it on the scarred areas.
- Leave it on for 5 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Do this once every day for quick results.
- Or, mix 2 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered ACV with 2 tablespoons of honey and 1/2 cup of water.
- Apply it on the acne scars with a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse off with plain water.
- Do this once every day until you notice a visible difference in your scarring.
Because it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, aloe vera is one of the best natural ingredients for removing scars, including those caused by acne. It is also a natural emollient that helps in repairing damaged skin and promoting healthy skin growth. Aloe vera is also great for improving the elasticity of new tissue that is being formed.
- Scoop out the gel of 1 aloe vera leaf.
- Apply the gel on the affected areas and massage it in, using gentle circular motions.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day until the scars lighten and disappear.
- Or, mix 1 tablespoon of fresh aloe vera gel with 2 or 3 drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply it on the affected areas and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse off thoroughly with cold water.
- Do this once a day until your scars are visibly reduced.
Note: Aloe vera may not work on acne scars that are older.
Packed with Vitamin E and healthy fatty acids, coconut oil is an excellent natural remedy for repairing skin tissue and reducing scars and other blemishes. It is also known to be a great natural moisturizer, which means that it hydrates your skin and makes scars less visible. When it comes to getting rid of acne scars, coconut oil is effective and it gives you healthy, bright skin.
- Warm up a bit of extra-virgin coconut oil and apply directly on your scars.
- Massage the oil in for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for at least 1 hour and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Or, add a few drops of lavender essential oil in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Apply it on the affected area and massage for a few minutes.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
- Use these remedies 1 or 2 times a day for a few weeks.
Aspirin and Honey
A mask made with aspirin and honey is another very effective home remedy for acne scars. Aspirin contains salicylic acid that works wonders for scars and marks while its gritty texture exfoliates your skin. Honey moisturizes your skin and heals acne scars. This is a simple homemade mask that will magically work on your acne scars and give you blemish-free, soft skin.
- Put 2 to 3 Aspirins in a bowl and add a few drops of water until the tablets dissolve and form a paste. Remember that you need the gritty texture for exfoliation so do not use too much water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey to the paste and mix well.
- Apply the paste on your scars and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
Known for skin-lightening ability, raw potatoes also work amazingly well for removing acne scars. The secret is to use them every day for a while so that they can do their magic. You need a lot of patience when using potatoes for acne scars as it takes some time to get the results you want. However, you will find it worth the wait as it will lighten your acne scars and eventually get rid of them completely.
- Cut 1 potato into several slices.
- Take 1 slice and rub it on the affected area until the slice dries up.
- Repeat the process with another slice.
- Continue rubbing potato slices for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Now allow your skin to absorb the potato juice.
- Once absorbed, wash it off with cold water.
- Apply your moisturizer as usual.
- Do this 3 to 4 times a week for at least 1 to 2 months to get the desired results.
You do not have to live with unsightly acne scars. With home remedies, you can treat them and make them disappear over time. Unlike store-bought ointments and lotions that contain chemicals and are usually ineffective, these natural treatments are safe and you never have to worry about side effects. Try out these remedies and get bright, smooth and blemish-free skin that you can show off!